Saturday, October 20, 2012

This is a great dinner idea...and its easy!!

I found this menu idea in a pamphlet from Sam's Club. When I made it I used what I had on hand so I will copy the recipe and in parenthesis I will put what I used.

South-of-the-border chicken and pasta skillet

Prep 30min.
Makes 4 servings

What you need
2 cups medium-size pasta, uncooked (I used 16 oz penne pasta)
2 Tyson* boneless chicken breast halves, about 1 lb (I used 2+lb of boneless pork chops)
(I added some minced onion)
16 oz salsa, about 2 cups
10 oz frozen corn, unthawed, about 2 cups 4 oz PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, (I used what I had left, it was a little more than 4 oz)
1/4 tsp cumin
1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese, divided (I used the Publix brand of block Velveeta cheese, until it seemed creamy)

Make it

Cook pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile cook and stir chicken ( I used pork) in large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat 6min or until done. ( I took the pork chops off before they were done and cut them up into small bite-size pieces and set aside. Then I added minced onion to the pan and sauteed. Then I returned the pork to the pan). Add salsa, corn, cream cheese and cumin; simmer on medium-low heat 6 min or until corn is heated through and cream cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.

Drain pasta; add to skillet with half the shredded cheese. (my frying pan isn't that big so I put the meat and sauce in the big pot and I used the block Velveeta-like cheese). Simmer 3 min or until heated through. Top with remaining shredded cheese; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 min or until cheese is melted. (I didn't use additional cheese).

Then I let my kids try it and tell me they didn't like it. My kids are anti-anything with too much flavor...at least the first time they eat it...or until they get really, really hungry. Personally I think it was delicious. I had two bowls full. You try it. Tell me what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment